Weekend Treats | Vegan Gulab Jamun Pancakes | Pamvsfood
Everyone knows and loves the classic dessert, Gulab Jamun. But who would have thought of it as a combination of two desserts? Well Pamela created this fusion treat of Gulab Jamun pancakes which can be an extra sweet breakfast or a delicious dessert after your evening meal.
Also let’s not forget it’s vegan so it’s suitable for everyone!
200ml (caster or granulated)
1 tsp rose water
2-3 saffron strands
rose petals & pistachios (to garnish)
150g self-raising flour
200ml plant-based milk
1 tbsp sugar
½ tbsp vegetable oil + extra for frying
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp rose water
½ tsp cardamom powder (or crushed pods)
1. Place the water, sugar, rose water and saffron into a saucepan for the syrup. Bring to the boil on a medium heat and leave to simmer for 15-20 minutes whilst preparing pancake batter.
2. The syrup will be thick enough once it coats the back of a spoon. Put the syrup in a jug aside to cool once done.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder and cardamom) for the pancake batter.
4. Add the milk, oil and rose water to the mixing bowl and whisk to form a thick consistency.
5. Heat a bit of oil in a crepe/frying pan and use a ladle to spoon mixture onto the pan. Once the uncooked side is bubbling, flip the pancake over until the bottom side is cooked.
6. Repeat for the remaining mixture.
7. Stack the pancakes to serve, spooning a bit of syrup between each layer.
8. Garnish the pancake stack with chopped pistachios, rose petals and a generous pouring of the syrup.
Asiana magazine: @asianatv