Recipe Of The Week | Uttapam | Cookingwithangeli
If you fancy a snack and want to whip up something filling and quick then Cooking with Angeli has got you covered with her version of the South Indian street food classic, uttapam. It is a super easy and versatile dish and is commonly known as the Indian pizza. But is it a pizza or a pancake?
1 cup uttapam packet mix
1/2 tsp ground green chillies
3/4 tsp ginger paste
3/4 cups cold water
1 small red onion, diced
1/2 green pepper, diced
1 tomato, diced
1/2 tsp chaat masala
Pinch of salt
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1tsp rapeseed oil (or any nut, plant based or vegetable oil)
Handful of cheese, grated
1. Put the uttapam packet mix, ground green chillies and ginger paste into a large bowl.
2. Ladle the cold water a spoonful at a time to the large bowl. Mix each spoonful of water until you get a pourable, liquid consistency. (note do not make the mixture too thin like a dosa)
3. Leave the mixture to sit for 10 minutes.
4. Place diced vegetables into a separate bowl and add the chaat masala, pinch of salt and red chilli powder, then mix together and leave on the side.
5. Check the uttapam mixture, you might need to add an additional 1tbsp of cold water to get the right consistency.
6. Heat a large non-stick pan with 1tsp rapeseed oil. Keep it on a medium heat.
7. Ladle the uttapam mixture into the pan and spread it around to form a circular shape.
8. Gently sprinkle and spread the vegetables evenly, pressing the vegetables mix into the batter.
9. Cover with a lid and cook for approximately 2-3 minutes until the batter sets.
10. Flip the set mixture over, cover and cook again for a further 2-3 minutes.
11. Flip again so the vegetables are on top. Add the cheese, cook until it has melted.
Serve and eat these as they are cooked for the best results.
Asiana magazine: @asianatv